Getting back on track

In my previous video, I had a bit of a disaster that really got me behind. Instead of building a small fire to cure the rigidizer, I’d recommend using a small amount of coals, a heat gun, or a propane torch. I ended up using a propane torch. Here’s the disaster aftermath:

This week, I’ve got the firebox completed, including fixing the damage to the top and insulating the door. Here’s my latest video that shows the repair (including extra insulation at the top of the boiler), illustrates how well my homemade rigidizer works, and how I’m beginning the hot gas to water heat exchanger:

As I mentioned in the video, in the interest of saving time, I’m using high temperature silicone adhesive instead of welding the pipes. I’ve tested it under several heating/rapid cooling conditions under direct flame, and it performs flawlessly. It also will give me the option of changing it in the future if I want to add more pipe. Here’s a view of my progress on the exchanger, I’ll have to buy a couple more pieces to complete it:

Partially constructed hot gas to water heat exchanger. Click for bigger picture.
Partially constructed hot gas to water heat exchanger. Click for bigger picture.

 

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply